Tuesday, September 21, 2010

the gift of dance

That's what it is to me. A true gift. It's a very unlikely thing that I would end up making a living of dance and so I must be grateful everyday I get to do it.



Unlike my peers at the dance school I had only danced for  2 years when accepted. Most of the others had started training at a real early age. (4-5 yrs old) I always knew it would be harder for me, but it didn't really matter. At that time in life I knew there was nothing else I could ever do that would be the right thing for me.

I remember the firs time I asked my parents If I could go to ballett. I was about 7, and before that I don't even think I knew dance existed. My parents were a part of a pretty conservative church at the time, and they didn't allow dancing. So apparently I couldn't go. Through out my growing up there were several occations when the topic came back up, and each time I was told I couldn't go.

Not untill I was 15 and my family was out of that church. I was hoocked. It still took 2-3 years before I was dancing really seriously and I was getting old. At 19 I knew this was it. I remember sitting at my mums house crying. I was so terrified that I wasn't gonna get into a dance school. And what then was I going to do?? I had no real backup plan, nothing to "fall back on" (I really hate that term...I'm not going to fall back!!)

When I got accepted into Bårdar dance academy a couple of weeks later I was extatic, and couldn't believe it! The spinning spiral of joy and amazement kept me going untill the reality of being a dance student hit me.

Hard as it was, I made it through school. I made it through some tough first years of trying to make a living out of it. And now, I'm just amazed by how well everything has turned out. I have so much work I have to turn down requests! I get to teach, choreograph, go to classes, produce! I must be the luckiest girl in the world!

And I still have dreams to do more, get better, challenge myself and others. To grow in my craft, to be more inspired and create things that move people.

It's not over, the best is yet to come.

Thank you for the gift of dance!!





No comments:

Post a Comment